The warning signs for suicide can be subtle, but someone experiencing emotional pain almost always shows some type of sign and may not behave as they normally do.
The signs manifest themselves in different ways and each person may express them differently.
- Talking or writing about suicide, death and dying when this is out of the ordinary for them
- Increased drug or alcohol use
- Feeling hopeless, desperate or trapped
- Loss of interest in activities and hobbies previously enjoyed
- No sense of purpose
- Reckless behaviour
- Anxiety or agitation
- Changes in sleep patterns, sleeping more or less than usual
- Changes in appetite
- Sudden mood changes
- Lack of self-care, not taking care of personal appearance